This repo shall host all activities to create a quarkus based IoT logging landscape
It consist of some different parts:
- Some IoT DHT sensors connected with an ESP8266 to a logging controller
- A Logging controller realized in MQTT and NodeRed
(installed in a Docker environment on a Raspberry Pi)
- A Raspberry Pi Cluster based on an arm64 Ubuntu running a Kubernetes Cluster K3S,
hosting a Quarkus application
- A MariaDB database installed in a Docker container on a Raspberry Pi
- Prometheus and Grafana installed in a Docker container on a Raspberry Pi
What is it for?
It is a project for self-learning different aspects of modern development:
- How to build IoT landscapes?
- Understanding modern IT Architectures including Microservices and Kubernetes Clusters
- How to manage modern development processes including CI/CD, DevOps
IoT and Data Aspects The IoT side of the PoC (Producing/Consuming Sensor and other data from SmartHome)
Architecture, Quarkus, Kubernetes The Architecture with a Controller and a Rapberry Cluster hosting Docker and Kubernetes and running Middleware and a MicroService application (Quarkus-App)
Development Aspects The Development aspects including CI/CD
To be able to understand the whole lifecycle in a real life simulation the complexity is quite high. It spans from Arduino for sensors until Docker and Kubernetes to host Quarkus Microservices applications.
|Development IoT||Arduino IDE C-code|
|Development IDE||Visual Studio Code (Java, Python, JavaScrip code)|
|Automatic Build and Packaging||Maven|
|Source Control||Git, GitHub|
|Deployment Container Staging||DockerHub|
|Message Orchestration||Node Red|
|Message Broker MQTT||Mosqitto|
|OS for Development||XUbuntu in VMWare Player|
|OS for Deployment||Arm64 Ubuntu (emulated in QEMU)|
What isn’t it?
The repo is NOT a ready to use package for production e.g. at home.
The ideas are still valid and all sceanarios runs but the code quality isn’t expected as world class, just to understand the scenarios.
I will improve the code quality and reduce the technical debts when I’ve a bit more time for it :-)
For Documentation see the doc folder
For questions around the scenarios and technologies you can contact me of course:
If I have made some mistakes or have I violated copyright notices, please let me know so that I can correct it.